Everyone should have a collection of nutritious, tasty recipes that can be prepared in a pinch. Every Monday during March – National Nutrition Month – we’ll feature one recipe per week that can be prepared in under 15 minutes.
Black Bean & Veggie Quesadilla
Makes 1 serving
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 10” flour tortilla
- ½ cup black beans
- Squeeze of lime juice
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Sautee onion, pepper, garlic, and taco seasoning in oil for 4-6 minutes or until veggies are translucent.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Place tortilla in pan and cook over medium-low heat until one side slightly browns, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and add beans, veggies, and cheese to half of the tortilla.
- Fold tortilla in half and cook until cheese is melted and tortilla is browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slice into quarters and serve with salsa.
Recipe source: modified from www.nourishnutritionblog.com
Modifications: Substitute 1 cup of frozen chopped peppers and onions for fresh, sub pinto beans for black beans, sub corn or rice tortilla for flour. Add additional toppings like avocado, sour cream, plain Greek yogurt.
Written by: Beth Kindamo, Nutrition Education Coordinator, UHC Health Promotion