Everyone should have a collection of nutritious, tasty recipes that can be prepared in a pinch. Every Monday during March – National Nutrition Month – we’ll feature one recipe per week that can be prepared in under 15 minutes.
Salmon with Pineapple Salsa
Makes 1 serving
- 4 oz salmon filet
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup diced pineapple
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (instant, boil in bag, or microwavable)
- 1 cup steamed veggies of choice (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place salmon on a foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cumin. Squeeze half of lime over the top. Bake for ten minutes or until cooked through.
- While salmon is cooking, prepare brown rice according to package directions and steam veggies. Juice the other half of the lime and mix with pineapple, red onion, and cilantro. Set aside.
- When salmon is done, top with pineapple salsa and plate alongside brown rice and veggies.
Recipe source: www.nutritiontwins.com
Modifications: substitute alternate quick cooking grain like whole wheat couscous or quick barley for brown rice, serve alongside microwaved baked or sweet potato instead of rice, substitute chopped mango for pineapple, use orange juice instead of lime juice
Written by: Beth Kindamo, Nutrition Education Coordinator, UHC Health Promotion