Let’s face it, no one wants the flu or other respiratory illness. So what are some ways to stay healthy?
Wash your hands – often, and with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (two rounds of “Happy Birthday”) or by using 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Keep it clean – wipe down commonly used surfaces such as keyboards, phones, doorknobs, and desktops with antibacterial wipes or disinfecting spray.
Boost your immune system to fight viruses and bacteria:
- Get enough sleep – it’s the best way to maintain a healthy immune system! If you’re feeling like you might be getting sick, try to get even more sleep. Tips for getting a good night’s sleep
- Eat a balanced diet – healthy foods help boost immunity, and, enjoyed throughout the day, can help ensure steady fuel for exercise, studying, or whatever your day brings.
- Stay hydrated – drinking water helps oxygenate your blood and flush toxins.
- Get up and move – regular physical activity (like going for a walk!) can help strengthen your immune system.
- Don’t smoke – smoking inflames your respiratory system which makes it easier to catch a virus.
- Reduce and manage stress – chronic stress can impact your immune system, which lowers your resistance to getting sick.
- Abstain or limit alcohol & other drug use – regular use can weaken the immune system, especially if you’re feeling under the weather, traveling, or stressed.
Get your flu shot – if you haven’t gotten one yet, you should!
Don’t touch your face, eyes, nose, or mouth unless your hands are clean – according to the CDC, touching your face with contaminated hands is how germs are often spread.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick – and don’t share things such as drinks, utensils, or other personal items with someone who isn’t feeling well.
“Need help with your self care plan? Call a UHC Wellness Coach! 706-542-8690”
Not feeling well? Experiencing symptoms such as cough, sneezing, sore throat, fever, or respiratory issues?
All others, contact your community health care provider.
Written by: University Health Center