Everyone should have a collection of nutritious, tasty recipes that can be prepared in a pinch. Every Monday during March – National Nutrition Month – we’ll feature one recipe per week that can be prepared in under 15 minutes.
One Pan Taco Skillet
Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast, lean ground beef, or vegetarian crumbles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1-oz packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10.75oz can low sodium condensed tomato soup (do not add water)
- 5-10 tortillas, cut into strips
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground turkey with oil, onion, and garlic until no longer pink.
- Drain any liquid left in pan.
- Add taco seasoning, salsa, tomato soup, and kidney beans.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Immediately prior to serving, top with tortilla strips and cheese.
Recipe source: modified from foodandnutrition.org
Modifications: Substitute black or pinto beans for kidney beans. Sub shredded chicken for turkey. Top with sliced avocado. Add sliced jalapenos or top with sriracha for extra heat.
Written by: Beth Kindamo, Nutrition Education Coordinator, UHC Health Promotion