Your Actions Matter! Once your needs have been met, you may be looking to help support those around you. Check out these helpful tips when talking to others about the importance of social distancing.
This strategy can be used to directly approach the individual or situation.
- Use “I” statements instead of “you” statements: “I care…” “I see…” “I feel…” “I want…” “I will…”
- I see that you are staying at home. Is there anything I can do to help?
- I care about you and want you to stay safe, which means we all need to wash our hands and practice social distancing. Let me know if you need anything.
- I feel it is really important that everyone stays home and I hope you do the same.
During times of uncertainty, a distraction or alternative activity can be a welcomed approach for people to stay connected.
- Texting someone, “Hey, how are you doing? Have you watched any good movies recently? I have a few recommendations if you need to watch something positive right now.”
- Offer to connect virtually to continue your routine. “I know we usually have dinner together, let’s plan to video chat while we cook tonight instead.”
- Try planning for the future: “I know it would be fun to go out, but how about we make a plan to connect when we get the all clear.”
You may not always be the best person to intervene. You can get others involved to help you out or find someone who is better suited to provide support. This could look like reaching out to another family member or friend to talk to someone that you are worried about.
Take care of yourself and trust your gut! Remember, we all play a role in creating a caring community.